Eye See... Eye Learn Program®
Our Optometrists are part of the Eye See… Eye Learn®(ESEL) Program.
We know that your child’s eye health is important to you. That’s why the Alberta Association of Optometrists, and the Eye See… Eye Learn® (ESEL) program, are dedicated to helping you detect and prevent eye health issues in your children from birth through to adulthood. The ESEL® program provides a fun and interactive way to introduce your children to eye care. Fribbit®, our ESEL® mascot, puts a friendly, likeable face on optometry.
Alberta Health Services covers the cost of complete eye exams for children ages 0-18. The ESEL® program supplements this by providing a pair of free eyeglasses to kindergarten children who require a prescription.
Vision Problem Indicators
If your child is displaying any of these behavioral or verbal indicators, it may be a sign of eye health problems. When taking your child to the optometrist, make sure to mention these indicators.
- Dislike or avoidance of close work or detail work (e.g. LEGO, drawing, etc.)
- Short attention span or “daydreaming” more than is normal for a child
- Turning or tilting the head to use only one eye, or closing or covering one eye
- Difficulty remembering, identifying and reproducing basic geometric forms (triangle, square, etc.)
- Placing head close to books or desk while reading or writing
- Excessive blinking or rubbing of the eyes
- Losing place while reading or using finger/marker to guide eyes
- Trouble finishing written assignments in allotted time
- Difficulty remembering what has been read
- Age-inappropriate and persistent reversals of letters
- Poor eye-hand coordination
- Headaches, nausea and dizziness
- Burning or itching eyes
- Blurring of the vision at any time
- Double vision