Sunwear is for every occasion and lifestyle. It can set a mood or make a fashion statement; it can be worn for hobbies or be geared to specific needs.
According to a recent sunwear compendium survey of U.S. consumers conducted by VCA, 26% purchase an additional pair of sunglasses for outdoor use. The VCA survey also reflects a high potential to purchase premium lenses with sunwear.
While the Rx sunwear market is growing, the non-prescription, or plano, market is even hotter. High-tech plano sunwear is worn by Hollywood’s brightest and hottest stars, as well as by sports notables and other celebrities. Plano sunwear is an excellent fashion accessory and a super image projector. It is also very functional these days.
Who Should Wear Non-Prescription Sunglasses?
- Outdoor people. Due to the higher degree of exposure to sunlight and ultraviolet radiation, sunwear is a natural option for these patients.
- Active land and water sportspeople.
- Patients who have had cataract surgery.
- Individuals with retinal disorders.
- People who are more sensitive to UV rays, including those taking certain medications?such as tetracycline, sulfa drugs, birth control pills, diuretics, and tranquilizers.
- Contact lens wearers. They should be using sunglasses to protect their eyes against foreign bodies and the harmful UV rays.
- Patients who’ve had LASIK surgery or other refractive surgery procedures
- People who just want that cool look
- Sunglass manufacturers have ready-made plano sunglasses for many activities, including racquet sports, running, swimming, skiing, bicycling, fishing, hunting, and a host of other lifestyle activities.
A Matter of Taste
Sunwear styles are as diverse as the materials from which they are manufactured. Today’s sunwear runs the fashion gamut from retro-looking, oval metal rimless mountings to large, chuck-style plastic frames. Wraparound frames have become popular lately and side shields are cool, especially on smaller frames. Frame materials have moved light years from zyl to titanium, stainless steel, beryllium, and many others. And technology in lens manufacturing has also brought advances to high-performance sun lenses.
Check with the staff at EYES ON 34th to review the latest styles in non-prescription sunglasses to determine a look and fit that’s right for your lifestyle.